Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Day of School

Yesterday was a big day for 2 of our girls - the first day of school! Macie is in 3rd grade now and Maddie started Kindergarten. They were both excited and ready to go - they had a great summer, but I think they were truly looking forward to getting back to the routine of school and seeing their friends. They hopped right out of bed, got their new outfits on and had one of their favorite special treats for breakfast - Orange Rolls!

I surprised each of them with a feather for their hair that I found at Walgreens. They are a clip in style and work great. I got Macie bright purple and Maddie a bright orange. They have been begging for a feather all summer and I promised them that they could get one right before school started. They were so excited about them and they really looked cute in their hair.

They finished getting ready and after a few pictures, we headed out the door to drop them off. I was praying that I would do better dropping Maddie off at kindergarten than I did with Macie. (Let's just say I started crying on the ride to school, and didn't stop for about 30 minutes after we left her.) Thankfully, Macie is a very independent child and seeing me cry didn't phase her too much. I knew full well that if I cried in front of Maddie that it would not be good. She's much more emotional and would have been a basket case if I was upset. We took Macie to her class first and then headed down the hall to Maddie's class. She was chewing her nails the whole way. We got to her class, found her seat and her cubby, put her things away, snapped a few pictures and told her good-bye. No tears from either of us! YAY! Well, until I got out the door. A few tears did fall at that point. Mike was carrying Mabrie and said, "Just one more to go!" - and then he told me not to worry, that Maddie would do just fine. I dried my eyes and headed home excited for her - she's come so far - this is the child that would cry every single Sunday when we'd take her to the nursery, or every single time she had a babysitter, or every single time I'd leave the house and leave her with her daddy! She was and still is a momma's girl - but she's growing up and she's become so much more confident. I'm so proud of her!



When it came time to pick them up, I walked to the kindergarten door where all the other parents were also getting their kids, and Maddie came running to me, yelling in her loudest voice, "Momma, guess what??!! There's a boy in my class named ELMO!!" And she started cackling! I told her to be quiet, fearing that Elmo and his mom were right by me. We got a kick out of that the rest of the evening! It was too funny!

Macie also had a great day! She was excited about her new teacher and her class. She seems to think she has a great group of kids in there and that she's really going to like her 3rd grade year. She's always been a great student. I have no doubt that she'll do awesome again this year. She's is a blessing and a pure joy to parent. I couldn't be more proud of her!


And so that leaves me and little Miss at home 5 days a week. She's a ball of energy and just so much fun! I'm looking forward to our time together. It won't be long and I'll be posting her picture as she heads to kindergarten, so for now, I'm enjoying these wild, busy, fun-filled days. (And some very tiring days, if I'm being honest!)


Looking forward to a great school year! I hope all of you that have school age kids had a great first week back as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment