Monday, January 23, 2012

Bedroom Overhaul

Oh.my.gosh.

Those are the 3 words that I kept uttering over and over and over when I started cleaning out my oldest girl's bedroom.

I knew it was a wreck. I knew they had junk under their beds and that they had thrown stuff just wherever they could find a place. What I did not know is that my kids are hoarders and apparently are the little girl versions of Edward Scissorhands.

I put Mabrie down for her nap, walked into their bedroom and honestly had no idea where to begin. Every inch of that room needed help and to say it was overwhelming would be the understatement of the year. I decided the easiest thing to do would be to start in one area at a time. So, I opened the closet doors, grabbed my trash can and dove in. I made piles of stuff to keep and transfered those things to my bedroom until I was ready to put it all back together, and made piles of stuff to donate to Good Will and launched that out into the hallway, the other pile was my favorite - the trash can pile. I filled 5, yes, that's right FIVE trash bags. I loaded my Suburban down with donations and then I went back in and started reorganizing.

They are down to 4 stuffed animals. They went from approximately 1 million to 4. Lord help the poor person's soul that buys them another. The wrath they will face is severe. I don't know what I'll do, but picture something like this and you're close to what I'll look like:

Under their bed was disturbing. I didn't even take a picture of the before because I honestly don't want to remember what it looked like. All I know is I've signed them up for "Hoarding" therapy to try and remedy this from ever happening again.

When I scooped out the stuff from under their dresser - Good night Nelly. What am I raising? Trashmen? Since when do we throw popsicle sticks under the dresser? They have a trash can IN their room. But, I guess when deciding where to throw away popsicle sticks, whizzing it under the dresser seems like the better choice.

And you can blame me for allowing them to own 40 Bath and Body hand sanitizers. You know, because 20 per child is not overdoing it. You'd think since they have such an affinity for clean hands that this would translate to other areas of their lives. You'd think. You'd also be wrong.

Don't get me started on the duct tape.

My new year's resolution was to get organized. One room at a time. Today, I conquered the worst room in the house. I'll do another room, as soon as I recover from today. I make no promises my recovery will happen any time soon.

Brace yourself. Here is the room before:




And here's the room after I got ahold of it:




4 comments:

  1. Hahah!! I'm cracking up! I can just imagine your fury as you are trashing everything you come in contact with!! Well done! It looks great AND you came out alive! Mission accomplished!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!!! Yes, Mission Accomplished and it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also cracking up, I laughed through this entire post reading! I am in this same mode right now (minimize, organize and throw away!) we just moved in April, so its not toooooo bad. But I am dying thinking of your girls chucking the popsicle sticks under the dresser! hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know, you are not alone. Except I trash things daily. If I see anything in the house of theirs that is out of it place it immediately goes in the trash or in a bag in the attic for the next garage sale. Surprisingly they never miss it. I also look through their room on Saturday's for out of place items. I give them a warning though and they have 30 min to get it put in place or it disappears. By the way, looks great! If your kids are like mine, by the time you get all the other rooms organized theirs will need it again. it is a vicious cycle :-)

    ReplyDelete