Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ready to Run

As my 3rd pregnancy is drawing to an end (or at least the finish line finally seems within sight), I'm starting to get excited about several things. First and foremost, having another child in our home to love and raise - that, of course, is the most exciting thing! But, after that, I gotta say I am really looking forward to running again! I grew to love running about a year and a half ago when some friends decided that we'd all start training for our first 5k. When I first started, I thought it was possibly the worst thing ever. I could barely go a 1/2 mile without stopping to walk and the thought of having to run for 3.2 miles straight seemed nearly impossible. But, it didn't take long before I worked myself up to a mile, then a mile and a half, then 2 and so on. Before I knew it, I was running the full 3 miles every time I went out.

Our first 5k was the Root Rocket Run in Fayetteville and it was HARD! There were so many hills and none of us were used to so many inclines. I think I finished around the 30 minute mark or so. While it was a difficult run, all of us finished and I was so proud of our accomplishment! We rewarded ourselves afterwards with IHOP! HA! Bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy - breakfast of champs, right?!

We all continued running and signed up for another 5k last September here in Fort Smith. My goal was to beat my previous time and I did! I came in a little over 28 minutes! Mike ran that one with me and he did awesome, too! It was fun to run together (well, not really - he blew past me at the start line and I didn't see him until the end, but still, it was something we did together and it was so fun!).

Now, I'm ready to go again! I have been walking all throughout this pregnancy, but there's something about getting outside and working up a good sweat while running that just makes you feel good! I look forward to when the doctor clears me to resume all my "normal" activity and I can get out and start training again. It will be early fall and the weather will be perfect! I really can't wait!

So, bring on Mabrie and then bring on my tennis shoes!


4 comments:

  1. That 5K was so much fun! Hope to run one again with you someday! And I agree, bring on the tennis shoes, you are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can say I am loving running so much this summer. Last year while training, I had basically just had bella boo and couldn't seem to figure out why I was struggling to get in shape. MAkes much more sense now. My body was not at all ready for a 5k!! But we did it and I am so glad we did. So just for near future sake, don't get discouraged when it seems way harder than last time. It's little miss mabries fault!!:) JK! She will be totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for another 5k either! I feel the same way Sarah. Running this year has been much easier than last! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know - I'm very prepared that it's gonna be hard to get back in the swing of it, but I just can't wait until I can get out there and do it - even if I can only run about 1/4 mile at a time - HAHA! I really don't know how Jessica blew that 5k away 6 weeks after having Jaben!? Girl - that was seriously impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete